Sydney’s public transport is still operating despite the fire damage caused by a massive blaze in the city’s north-west on Monday night.
The fire damaged more than 40,000 hectares of land in Sydney’s north and left thousands of homes and businesses without power.
The cause of the blaze, which is believed to have been caused by heavy rain, is under investigation.
“Sydney Transit is currently conducting a full investigation into the fire and we will continue to provide updates as necessary,” a spokeswoman said in a statement.
However, a spokeswoman for the state’s Department of Emergency Services said that the firefighting response and rescue operations had been hampered by the damage caused to the infrastructure.
Ms Lees said that, in addition to the damage to public transport, other major issues faced by the city were the shortage of firefighters and equipment, and a lack of adequate water and sewerage.
“[The fire] has had a very, very devastating impact on our emergency services, so it has been a real challenge to get to our priority tasks,” she said.
In a statement to the ABC, the NSW Government said that it would work with the fire service to assist the community with rebuilding their infrastructure.
“We have been able to support Sydney Transit in a number of areas,” the statement said.
“However, the fire has been affecting the community and the state and federal governments have been providing significant assistance to them, in particular through the NSW Disaster Mitigation Agency.
It is essential that all resources are used to rebuild this damaged infrastructure, including through the recovery of water and sewage.”